Friday, September 18, 2009

When do you become a Texan?

Day: 34
High Temp: 86F
Job Status: Unemployed
Jobs Applied to: 4

We have officially surpassed the month anniversary of our arrival in Texas. To tell you the truth, I cant believe it has been that long. We have had Homer for 3 weeks now, and are starting slowly to accept the annoying quirks of living in a huge apartment community. Having reached this milestone, I began to wonder when, if ever, I would feel like I had become a Texan.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, Texans make a huge deal about the pride feel for their state. I am definitely not there yet. I mean, I still think it's a very nice state, but honestly, I've seen better. So, are you not really a Texan until you feel that sense of pride? Until you are happy to boast on vacations and family gatherings about how you are from Texas? I actually find it kind of embarrassing.

My cute Mazda, Elly, has Texas license plates. Does that make me a Texas? They are bright and bold, and have the shape of the state and the lone star prominently displayed. Texas plates... does that make me a Texan? We are thinking about getting one of the ubiquitous Longhorn decals that everyone has on the back of thier car. Will that make us Texans?

Technically, I know I am a Texan, as my address tells me so. But as "fall" creeps closer here in the great state of Texas, and the high temps continue to reach the mid 80's or higher, I am just not sure I can ever really feel at home here. I walked out the door the other morning around 10am to take Homer for his morning walk, and thought it felt much more like the beginning of summer, than the onset of fall. The leaves aren't really changing, and I am not sure they ever will. And even though it has definitely been cooling down, there is certainly no crisp, distinct chill in the air. I am not sure I can ever feel truly at home in a place that doesn't have seasons.

It is also worth mentioning that since returning to Texas from my visit to St. Louis last week, I have been feeling really homesick. The odd thing is, I am not sure if I am missing St. Louis or Chicago. I had the most depressed feeling as my parents drove me to the airport, and I tried to accept the fact that flying "home" meant flying to Austin, and not Chicago. The only comfort there was that I was flying back to Tom, and truth be told, he is really the main factor in my definition of home.

So, Texan or not, it is here that I will try to make my home, at least for the next 3 years. Hopefully, at some point, it will feel like where I belong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment