Thursday, August 20, 2009

Don't Mess With Texas

Day: 5
High Temp: 102F
Job Status: Unemployed

The popular slogan "Don't Mess With Texas" was actually created for (and is still used by) an anti-litter campaign organized by the Texas Department of Transportation. It has been co-opted by organizations and people all over Texas to communicate not only their tough attitudes but also their immense pride for their state. And the reality is even those people who don't want to seced from the union think that Texas is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Well, I think Texas is pretty great too, so far. But it is hot, and the people carry guns (yes, even in Austin) and the meat section of the grocery store is at least twice as big as the produce section. So, this blog is my attempt to communicate not only my adventures in this strange land, but also to keep my sanity. I am a midwestern girl, after all, and this place is mighty weird.

0 comments:

Post a Comment