Friday, September 16, 2011

What I Learned (v8)


My Husband is Amazing. Okay, so I have knows this for a while, but we recently spent a few weeks barely seeing each other, and now that we get to see each other again, it is just so nice!


I am not as young as I used to be. I need my sleep. I can't pull an all nighter, and it takes me days to recover if I get less than 5 hours of sleep in a night. Last Saturday/Sunday I probably did actually get 7 hours of sleep, but those were broken into three distinct chunks of sleep, and only about 3 hours happened while it was dark outside.


Every city needs Mrs. Johnson's. If you are in dire need of a sugar fix at a late hour, Austin is the place to be. Around midnight last Saturday, I hit the Mrs. Johnson's drive through for two dozen mixed, and the fellow working the window gave me not one, but two doughnuts fresh out of the glaze. The apple fritter was too hot to hold! Yum.


It is terrifying and cathartic to create something beautiful just so it can be destroyed. Last Saturday/Sunday (are you sensing a theme?) I spent several hours with the crew of september play creating a massive paper mural out of 100,000+ 1"x1" squares of paper. It was a labor of love as part of a piece created to explore the questions, feelings and memories surrounding the attacks of September 11, 2001. The mural was completed after many many hours, by many many people, and the end results were stunning. It greeted the audience members coming to see september play on Sunday evening and was promptly destroyed by two leaf-blower wielding men at the beginning of the play.



A time lapse video was shot during the creation of the mural, which I will post here if I can get my hands on it, but in the meantime, enjoy a few of the photos I snapped of the finished piece...


1 comment:

  1. The pictures look amazing, and I'm sure the event was amazing! We are sorry we couldn't share in the experience with you. I'm glad to hear that Tom has returned! If I don't talk to you before, enjoy Chi town!

    ReplyDelete