Friday, October 7, 2011

What I Learned (v9)

Pardon me while I cram 3 weeks worth of lessons into one post...


Everything is better on a boat! The week following the september play performance one of Tom's collaborators rented a pontoon boat and took us all out for an afternoon on Lake Travis. The lake was around 40' below normal levels, and and it was quite a shocking sight to see so much of the bank and cliffs exposed. Rest assured there were still plenty of deep spots to swim in, and swim we did since it was in the 90's that day. While most of you (in places that are not Texas) were enjoying your first taste of autumn, we were hanging out in our swimming suits on a mother freaking boat. It was awesome. And yes, we did drink champagne.
The Millionaire and his Wife.


My heart belongs to Chicago. Tom and I were back in the Windy City two weekends ago for a friends wedding, and it was so great.  We crammed a ton of stuff into just over 50 hours, and I loved every minute of it.  I just felt such a sense of energy and excitement when we were driving into the city from O'Hare. And my love only grew as I saw got a chance to catch up with so many of my friends (including my bestie Camilla who lives in Spain, and who I haven't seen since my wedding.) Did I mention I got to meet Cam's boyfriend too? And speaking of...


Cultural differences are a bottomless well of entertainment. Duncan, Camilla's BF, is Scottish. Given the fact that we speak the same language, I didn't think the cultural differences thing would really be able to entertain us the whole weekend, but it did. Duncan got to eat his first southern style biscuit (not a cookie), and more than once I found myself laughing so hard I was crying. There is something so wonderful about seeing someone you love in a relationship with another amazing person. Cam and Duncan are awesome together, and it hurts my heart that they live so far away.

Weddings are even better when you are married. I may have already proclaimed this at some point, but it is so true, and I have always loved weddings! Now that I really understand what it means to pledge your life to the person you love, nothing can compare to seeing friends and family get to have that experience. This time, the person getting married was Libby Ford, my wonderful friend from college, and the esteemed officiant at our wedding last year. There was no way I was going to miss seeing Libby marry the love of her life on a little farm in Pekin, IL. It was so fantastic. Not only was there a definite snap of autum in the air, but there were hay bales, a miniature horse, a big bonfire, and dinner in a barn. Libby married Josef, who will always have a place in my heart as he willingly and enthusiastically helped us load our moving truck on our last night in Chicago, just days after his first date with Libby. I knew then he was a keeper!

I am experiencing football withdrawal! I have obviously been feeling the love for the past few weeks, and have managed to keep quite busy despite the fact that we  have had 3 weeks in a row now with out a UT Football home game. The quarterback situation has been settled, and the freshmen are looking awesome. I don't think anyone could have envisioned the team would start the year 4-0. It has been so much fun to watch it happen (we've caught the aways games on TV), but I can't wait for the next home game.  But before they come home, the Longhorns have what may be the biggest game of our season to play, Red River Rivalry happens tomorrow night at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas against OU. And with UT leaping ahead in the rankings over the past 5 weeks, and Oklahoma slipping ever so slightly, we might just be able to pull this one out.  Hook 'em horns!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the wedding thing. I too have always loved the party, but now that I'm an old married gal I cry EVERY TIME I see someone take vows. Waterworks. You're totally right, there is something so beautiful about knowing what they are pledging to one another that makes it all the more special to witness.
    Seems about time for another family wedding... who should we marry off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was so good getting to see you too! and i'm so glad you liked duncan :) let's do more (and better planned) road trips in the future! thanks for the shout out <3

    ReplyDelete