Friday, September 2, 2011

Making Lemonade When All I Really Want is a Spiced Pumpkin Latte

Maybe it is the fact that school has started, or the fact that so many people are commenting on the changing seasons. Maybe it is because we booked our plane tickets for Thanksgiving this week. For whatever reason, I am getting fall fever in a major way. Which is a shame because Austin really doesn't get fall. At least not in any traditional sense that this Midwestern girl will be satisfied with.

Fall is my favorite season. I love to bake and drink hot drinks. I love wearing blue jeans and sweaters. Boots and scarves are my favorite accessories.  It turns out, I live in a climate that prevents me from enjoying many of my favorite things until the holiday season is practically gone. It's sad.

I was looking through my Facebook pictures the other day and saw this:

Isn't he the cutest thing?!

That is a photo of my husband OUTSIDE in a t-shirt and sunglasses. I took this photo with my cell phone and uploaded it immediately to Facebook last year on December 11, 2010.

Given that and the fact that we haven't had a day that didn't hit triple digits in nearly three months, and I am starting to feel a little anxious. I want to crunch leaves as I walk down the sidewalk. I want to need to grab a sweater before heading out the door in the evenings to play with my dog. I want to bake a damn batch of cookies, or a pie, without forcing my AC into overdrive.

But, things are good here in Austin. Work is settling down, and I am settling in. I am volunteering with an awesome theatre group. I am nearing my one year anniversary being married to that guy above. Our dog is the sweetest creature on earth. I have a new niece who is the most beautiful thing. One of my bestest friends from college recently moved to Round Rock. I can eat at Torchy's anytime I want. I am on new medication that has changed my life. Yeah, so I am making lemonade out of this decidedly lemony climate.

And it does help to have a cute pair of shoes to take the place of my beloved boots. I will be making due just fine with my brand new, perfectly autumnal (and perfect for this climate) Gilded Herringbone Classic TOMS.
Isn't it the cutest thing?







2 comments:

  1. Loving the Toms and the Tom in this post! This midwestern girl is definitely ready for fall (my favorite season as well). I hope you survive the TX temps. We are missing you and can't wait for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooooo behind the curve and have never owned a pair of Toms. These are perfectly adorable and are making me want to remedy this OBVIOUS tragedy in my life right away.
    Sounds like the rest of your "lemonade" is pretty fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete