Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What I Learned (v7)

Hi friends! Life has been a bit hectic in the past few, and so I am playing catch up on the whole blog thing. Below you will find a slightly condensed version of What I Learned that covers some of the highlights of the past 2 weeks...

Out of town visitors are excellent! Tom's mom, Nancy, visited us a few weeks back, and we played tourists the whole time. We went to the LBJ Presidential Library, saw a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse and ate BBQ.  Nancy also had the chance to meet Homer for the first time (of course, she loved him!) It was so nice to have family around for a bit. And if I haven't mentioned it already, I truly have the best mother-in-law on earth. She is awesome.

Homer is a water dog... sort of. For the past 3 weekends, I have made a point to take Homer swimming.  This not only ensures we can stay outside playing for longer than 15 minutes (incase you haven't heard, it's hot out there!) but I also feel like it is good to build his confidence around water.  He does alright. He is scared to go into water that is deeper than he can stand in, but the longer we are playing, the more confident he gets. It helps that he loves nothing more than playing fetch, and a tennis ball thrown just out of reach is the perfect incentive to swim out into the deeper water.

Jennifer Holliday is a goddess. I have been stuck at home alone for many nights this summer while Tom has been traveling across the country for different writing opportunities. Thankfully, Netflix has the entire series of Ally McBeal on instant streaming. I know it is kind of embarrassing, but it's the perfect show to watch while he is gone. He has no interest in watching it with me, and it is so light and fluffy, that it can erase virtually all vestiges of a bad day at work. Plus, Jennifer Holliday has a guest starring/singing role in about a half dozen episodes in the early seasons.  I had watched Ally when it was on network TV, but at that time, had no idea who Jennifer Holliday was. This time around, I know and respect the power of "And I am Telling You I am Not Going." It makes watching the JH featured episodes that much more enjoyable.  PS- if you haven't heard Ms. Holliday sing the aforementioned song, do yourself a favor and listen here.

It's good to have friends. I mentioned in the last WIL that one of my good friends from DePaul now lives in the area. I knew it would be great to have her around, but I think I underestimated just how much I miss my friends.  I have met and had fun with plenty of wonderful people here in Austin, and I count many of them as friends, but it takes time to get to a place of real comfort with any new friendship. For the past 2 years, Tom has been the only person here who could fill that role. I am so grateful to have Erica here now. Our friendship is easy. We have met (and love) each other's families. We know each others (sometimes embarrassing) past dating exploits. We have a past! It's just so nice to have her here.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched an Ally episode where "Happy" the judge dies and Jennifer Holliday sings at his funeral. She's definitely got some pipes!

    I'm so excited for you that your friend has moved so close. What an awesome gift. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete