Monday, November 16, 2009

Weekend In Review

Day: 93
High Temp: 62F (it feels like fall!)
Job Status: Unemployed


I normally don't like to write these recap type blogs. You know, the ones that throw a bunch of "this is what I did"s into one post. But, this past weekend was the first that felt like a normal weekend, not just a continuation of a week of days that I spend playing with my dog, searching for and applying to jobs, and complaining about the weather. This weekend reminded me of weekends I would have in places where I actually live, which made me feel, finally, like I may actually live here in Austin. I want to document it.


Friday night, Tom joined me at the Lustre Pearl, a really unique bar located just north of the river from us. It's an old house, which contains a bar in what I assume would have been the kitchen. It feels like a what might happened if someone through a really great party at an abandoned house. Anyhow, great atmosphere, and definitely a place I would go back to for a drink or two.


Following the Lustre Pearl, Tom had to head to work for a while, so me and my new friend Sara (yes, new friend! and NO, she does not attend UT!! sweet!) headed to Fado on 6th street downtown for a pint or two, and a double Jameson, and... well, you see where this is going. We had a great time, and she got me home early enough so that Homer wasn't too pissed off at having to be home alone.

Saturday we hosted a small gathering at our apartment for a reading of one of Tom's new plays. A group of his friends from UT came by, and it was generally fun to play hostess for a night. We made Cuba Libres and Dark and Stormys, and served appetizers. After the reading, we all headed to Doc's, a local bar for some food, and a few rounds of shuffle board.

On Sunday, we once again gathered with the UT crowd to head out to Driftwood, Texas for some of the best barbecue on earth at the Salt Lick. The Michner Center (fancy writing program) at UT invited all the creative writers at the Univeristy, and their families, out for a big banquet. Salt Lick serves these big, family style meals where they basically just keep bringing tons of food until you surrender. This was our second time at the Salt Lick, the first was when my parents were here--my dad's pick and as per usual, genius. I know most people would say the highlight of the meal is the meat (brisket, chicken, smoked sausage and pork ribs are all served), however my votes go to the amazing sauce (mustardy, a little spicy and a little sweet), the warm German-style potato salad, and the peach cobbler. Again, if any of you ever get off your lazy asses to come visit me, this place will be high on the agenda!

So, it was like a totally normal weekend, where we saw and hung out with friends, and had actual things to do. Now I am looking forward to my brand new Book Club on Tuesday night and the upcoming annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage to California.

3 comments:

  1. Yah for weekends that feel like you're at home! And double YAH for new friends. Glad things are going well for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, drinking and eating meat. If you get rid of this "play reading" stuff you might end up as a real Texan after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New friends AND Dark and Stormies?! You're really living the life :)

    ReplyDelete