Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Weather Obsessed

Day: 494
High Temp: 66F

It is time that I fess up... I am OBSESSED with the weather here. It's not necessarily a positive or a negative thing. It is just so vastly different from what I grew accustomed to during my many years as a midwesterner. I cannot get over how strange it is. The fact that I must announce the day's high temperature at the start of every blog should only go towards proving my obsession. The subject is endlessly fascinating to me. And in an effort to prevent myself from musing about every day where the weather is unseasonable my my midwestern sensibilities, I am writing this little post.

So, it may interest you to know that it was 80 degrees yesterday.  Should you not totally understand the significance of this, I should also point out that yesterday was December 21- the first day of WINTER! We still have lettuce, beets and carrots in the garden. I wore a sleeveless dress, without stockings, to take Homer for a walk last night.

I am not sure I will ever get used to a warm winter, but I also have a hard time complaining too heartily about it. Besides, with Thanksgivings spent in the snowy Sierra's, and Christmas in the chilly midwest, I suppose I do get enough winter to meet my ingrained expectations.

And as I am not coming to terms with my obsession, I would also like to apologize to my siblings-in-law for the many times I made fun of and rolled my eyes at their enthusiasm and elation over even the smallest snowfall at the cabin. Too many years of heavily snowed-in winters made me jaded, and I had forgotten the magic of snow. I hope you will all forgive me.

1 comment:

  1. I am SOOOOO right there with you! We're having a "white Christmas" and I feel like I've never seen snow before in my life.
    BUT, it's just so weird to have the thermometer be at 50 and hear people say, "It's so cold!"
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

    ReplyDelete