Monday, December 6, 2010

Family Food Memories/Traditions

Day: 478
High Temp: 56F

With the recent frequent mentions of pies on my blog (and one more to come!) I was so excited to check out my cousin Molly's blog, A Foreign Land, this morning to see that she has recently posted a video paying homage to one of my absolute favorite family foods from back in the day: the smoked oyster. Molly's video blog can be found here. Please watch it, if only to see how adorable she is.

Every word of Molly's story of the smoked oyster tradition is true. And I am not too proud to admit that I would scarf pretty much as many of these as I could, often until my mom would yell at me to lay off. We always had these at extended family gatherings, but sometimes my mom and dad would buy some for us us. I remember eating them alone (on a toothpick), or on a cracker, with a fairly thick coating of cream cheese. To die for.

You may think that smoked oysters are an unlikely candidate for the favorite foods list of an eight year old, but I can guarantee you that these gems would have made my top ten back in the day. And now I can thank Molly for inspiring me to revisit this beloved family culinary memory. They are on the grocery list for next week for sure!

Any odd or not so odd family food traditions you want to share?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!
    How have I missed 5 posts?? I'm headed to read them now.
    (somebody else suggested cheddar cheese with the oysters. I'm trying that too!!)

    ReplyDelete