Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Camping

Day: 234
High Temp: 81F

We have, again, been having problems with our apartment. About 2 months ago new neighbors moved in next door. They are bachelors, and total douche-bags. I hate them. For the first few weeks, they were fine. However, in the past few weeks the have started to act like total assholes. They go out to the bars every Friday and Saturday night. When the bars close, they come home, and hang out on their back deck, making a ton of noise which wakes us up. I am talking 3 or 4am, laughing, incoherent ramblings and event the perplexing occasional appearance of ESPN radio. You know, sometimes Tom and I go out too, and nothing is worse than coming home, getting into bed, falling asleep only to be awoken an half-hour later.

(Okay, now I know you are all thinking, what does this rant have to do with camping? Bear with my while I suss out the finer points of my indignation, and we will get to the camping, promise!)

We have asked nicely, and we have complained. Our (nice) neighbors have complained too. We all call the security team for the complex, or we call APD. Then we wait until they show up, and eventually it gets quiet and we can go back to sleep. So far, the (asshole) neighbors just don't give a crap that they are waking everyone else up on that side of the building. The office management says they give them lease violations each time a complaint is registered, but no one is really sure what happens after that. Do they get kicked out after a certain number of violations? Have to pay fines? No idea. All I know is the us other 8 apartments on that side of the building and are good members of the community, who pay our rent each month. And for that, we are now subjected to this ridiculousness.

It makes me so sad. Since Tom and I moved over to this new building in October, we have been pretty happy. I guess I should have known a tolerable living situation in this complex was too good to last.

So, instead of waiting around this weekend to be rudely awoken again in the middle of the night, we are going camping. We are packing up our stuff (including a new, bigger tent that Tom and I bought right before leaving Chicago), and getting the heck out of town.  It's bluebonnet season here in the Hill Country, and besides that the weather is supposed to be glorious this weekend. Highs in the upper 70s, with lows down into the 50s. Perfect campfire weather.

It will be Homer's first camping trip, which is exciting. He is a little bit of a scaredy dog, but he loves being outside (even in the rain) and loves to eat bugs and meet new people, so I think he will like it.  The only things I am worried about are the fabled critters of Texas.  While I would be amused by a somewhat far-off sighting of an armadillo (I've never seen one) or even a scorpion, I am terrified of encountering a tarantula. Please god, keep the mutant spiders at bay.

Stay tuned to hear how the adventure turns out!

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD. The very thought of the mere possibility that I might encounter tarantulas on a camping trip would definitely keep me from GOING. I almost cancelled our trip to St. Croix last year when I heard there were tarantulas in the rainforest there (I kept the trip after I figured out that the rainforest was on the westernmost side of the island; we stayed on the eastern end.)

    You are a BRAVE WOMAN, Ms Becker. I look forward to hearing about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete