Thursday, December 3, 2009

Is Austin Ready For This?

Day: 110
High Temp: 50F
Job Status: Unemployed

I was just noticing that lately it seems like the High Temp and the Day counter have switched places. We are now safely over the 100 mark in terms of days spent living in Austin, and now the mercury is creeping slowly down towards that freezing mark. Indeed, today (December 3!) Tom and I finally turned on our heater.

When we left for Tahoe a little over a week ago, we left a city still experiencing an average high temp in the mid-70s. It was chilly at night, but sunny and comfortable during the day. Now, there is a distinct coldness that has settled upon us, and while most of the trees still refuse to turn and loose their leaves. We haven't hit below the freezing mark yet, but I couldn't help noticing tomorrow's weather forecast: High of 36F with a 70%chance of snow showers! Is Austin ready for this?

I mean, I certainly am. If 27 winters in the Midwest taught me anything, it is how to deal when expecting an inch of mixed precipitation. In fact, I am now the owner of an SUV, so driving in the snow should be safer than ever. But, it is not me I am worried about, its all these southern yahoos (no offense yahoos, but admit it, you don't have a reputation for handling well in the snow!)

I have a meeting, a lunch date and a party to attend, all tomorrow. This means I have to go out and brave the masses. Honestly, this is more daunting than black Friday at a suburban mall! The hourly breakdown from weather.com shows a forecast of possible snow from 9am through 6pm.

Now, nothing can get me more in the spirit of the holidays than a good early-December snowfall, but I fear that this snowfall will come at the price of the sanity of the masses. So hear me now Texans: please do me a favor and stay home tomorrow! Let me enjoy this uncommon expression of the season in peace and relative safety.

2 comments:

  1. One thing I do miss about Texas is when the roads freeze over (which happened yearly in Dallas) and these dudes in horribly unbalanced gigantic pick up trucks wouldn't slow down and would end up in accidents totally bewildered at what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Adam. Your compassion for big, dumb Texans knows no bounds.

    But unfortunately, we (south Austin)didnt really get any winter weather (unless you count the flurries that fell for about 10 minutes, but melted the second they hit the ground). Much ado about nothing.

    ReplyDelete