Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Tigress

Day: 550
High Temp: 72F

Two weeks ago, Tom and I were headed to the coffee shop near us for an afternoon treat when we passed a tiny storefront I had never noticed before. The door had a little frosted emblem that said "The Tigress - Lounge and Pub." I was immediately intrigued, and upon closer inspection discovered that there was, indeed, a tiny bar inside. Tom and I finally made it back over to The Tigress on Friday night to see what they had to offer, and let me tell you, it may have been the first time I felt sorry for people who don't live in Austin, Texas. For me, it may just be one of the best bars I have ever been to.

It is so good, in fact, that I hesitate to even write about it here, for fear that others will discover it, making it harder for me to get in! Then I remembered that my readership is limited to an elite (read: small) group of people who I would love to take to The Tigress for a drink.

But I wasn't exaggerating when I said it is tiny. There is room for six at the bar, plus two tables that probably seat four people each. Pair that with standing room space for maybe another 8-10 people, and you are at maximum capacity. The decor is simple, but charming, and the glassware is vintage. The lady behind the bar is both proprietor and bartender, although I am led to believe she does occasionally host guest bartenders.

As a patron, you can choose from a set menu of maybe 8-10 cocktails, many of which are classic in the truest sense. Although the proprietress told me that the menu does change often, I get the sense from online reviews that basic staples like Manhattans, Moscow Mules and French 75s are always available. But be warned, she doesn't keep a fully stocked bar, just the liquors, liqueurs and other specialty items needed to make the drinks on the menu. Although I am also told that the bartendress is willing to go off the menu if requested. And, to put the icing on the cupcake, each drink is only $7! That is a good $3-5 under normal market value, even for bars in Austin.

If a cocktail isn't your bag, you can imbibe from a small but thoughtful selection of excellent (and mostly local) beers served in genuine 20oz imperial pint glasses. And those are just $5!

We stuck to the hard stuff on Friday, and at two cocktails each, got an impressive demonstration of our host's mad skills. She is a goddess. And now, it is all that I can do to not suggest that Tom and I walk over for a drink EVERY night after work. For the sake of my bank (and temperance) I am glad they are closed on Monday and Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. FUN! Sounds like an Austin "gem." Super excited that you are continuing to find things to love about where you've landed...
    (you're such a good example for me!!)

    ReplyDelete