Friday, August 6, 2010

What a Family Looks Like

Day: 356
High Temp: 102

I have been thinking so much about family, last names, home and marriage in the past few weeks. Tom and I are just about 2 months out from our own wedding day, and these things are just a constant point of conversation.

We are in a house now, which makes us feel more grown up, and like a family. I cannot explain why. But it does. And I cannot tell you how happy I am that we will come home after our wedding to this little house. Not an apartment, but a house. We don't own it, and it is highly likely that at some point (perhaps if/when we leave Austin) we will find ourselves again in an apartment. But for now, it's a house, and that feels like a real change.

We are also still debating the last name thing.  It's a conversation we have been having for many years now, and for the first time this week Tom told me he wants us to have the same last name. It's old-fashioned, but really sweet.  And it seems like with how far women and society have come in terms of feminism, us ladies don't need to hold on to our own last names to hold on to our identities. At least that is how I am starting to feel.  And as I sat there talking with Tom, looking at him as he said he wanted us to share a last name, I realized that this was one thing I was happy to do for him. So now I am settling into the idea that come October 9 I will no longer be known as Lindsey Becker. Crazy!

The whole inspiration for this little post was this most amazing portrait of a family that I came across today on Marvelous Kiddo by way of the fabulous Snippet & Ink. Talk about discovering what a family looks like!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you. I actually just teared up reading that post. (The name change was the BIGGEST thing for me too.) I remember being a little nervous to tell some of my girlfriends that I was doing it. I hope that your experience is similar to mine in that you have no regrets and embrace that change!
    p.s. I love that Tom WANTS you guys to share a name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. On the opposite end, several years after getting married (and changing my name) I was back home and when I saw Niemeyer printed on something at my parents' house, I had a weird deja-vu type of reaction. And then I reacted to my reaction, because I was shocked at the fact that I "forgot" this was my name!

    Anyhoo, this kind of thing is a personal decision, but I think it's so sweet that Tom wants you to share the umbrella of his name.

    ReplyDelete